Auteur Topic: 29-03-2003, Schillachi plans to chill in The Netherlands  (gelezen 1465 keer)

Offline superjari

• Vriend van AjaxForum
  • Legende
    • Bekijk profiel
    • http://www.footygoal.net
29-03-2003, Schillachi plans to chill in The Netherlands
« Gepost op: 29 maart 2003, 20:20:12 »
Citaat
BAFANA Bafana and Ajax Amsterdam midfielder Steven "Schillachi" Pienaar is planning to settle permanently in The Netherlands where he has made a name for himself.

The skilful dribbler, who is on a mission to help the poor and destitute in his Westbury township, Johannesburg, said he loved the environment of The Netherlands.

The lanky and scintillating soccer star has caught the public's attention by reaching out to the poor, particularly children and the aged, since his return from Armsterdam.

On his birthday on March 17 this year, Pienaar visited "Sun City" prison and donated food parcels and toys to children living with their mothers in prison.

The nimble-footed youngster said he himself grew up under unbearable conditions in the notorius crime-infested Westbury township.

"Coming from a disadvantaged background without role models to guide me has enforced the spirit of humility and encouraged me to invest back in my community by helping the needy," he told City Press.

He is also concerned about children growing up on their own because their parents are in jail.

"I was raised by a single parent who was lucky to support me and my three siblings.

"I am not doing this for publicity but out of love. I have an insight of what it is like growing up without knowing when your next meal is," said Pienaar.

The soft-spoken lad is also a staunch supporter of AIDS-awareness programmes. He says when he is not scoring goals and tormenting defenders in Amsterdam, he visits schools in South Africa and advises students to be aware of AIDS.

When City Press visited him at the FNB stadium this week at training with the national squad for their game against Madagascar, he enthusiastically talked about his new-found lifestyle in The Netherlands.

"Living overseas has been the best thing that could ever happen to me. I am enjoying every moment and utilising the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by playing to the best of my ability for one of the best European teams, hence I am planning on permanently settling in The Netherlands.

"The environment is unique and very peaceful and I am learning a lot as far as my soccer career is concerned," says Pienaar.

The ace midfielder says he has adjusted well and is proud of how quickly he has learnt Dutch.

When asked what car he is driving, he chuckled and proudly said: "An Audi TT, it's a bachelor's car and suits me fine."

Bachelor? Does it mean there are no chicks in his life ? "I am dating someone but I won't reveal her name at the moment."

Door: MBALI MLAMBO in City press
« Laatst bewerkt op: 1 januari 1970, 00:00:00 door superjari »